They later expanded with two additional facilities:
- A campus for girls near Rockmart in Georgia
- A campus for boys near Carabelle, Florida
It was closed sometime before 1986 where Inner Harbour according to their homepage claims to have opened. Another source that that the police charged Louis Poetter and nine employees with claims of abuse in 1986 .
A memorial site states:
Anneewakee was a residential Treatment center for emotionally disturbed young men which operated in Douglasville , Georgia during the 70's and 80's.The center was the brainchild of Dr. Louis J. Poetter and was set up to give the patients a wilderness living experience while participating in scheduled group, vocational, and educational therapy under the close supervision of psychiatric assistants (or group leaders) as well as a full staff of psychiatric and social workers. The center was eventually closed in the late 80's due to allegations of sexual and physical abuse and forced work imprisonment.It has since re-opened under a different name.
- Info: anneewakee.org, page for survivors of the facility
- Forum: Anneewakee - The Lost Boys of Georgia, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora
- The former campus of Google maps
- 30 years of the good, the bad and the weird-as-hell , section Civic scandals - Anneewakee, by Scott Henry, CL Atlanta
- Anneewakee Survivors !!