From Fornits Wiki
Discovery Academy is a behavior modification facility located in Provo, Utah 
It was founded by Dr. D. Eugene Thorne in 1989 by although some sources state that was in February 1990 . It moved to it present location at the old Ivy Tower in 1992. The neighbors were kept in the dark . At the present time they are able to detain 77 teenagers at their facility. A new addition to the facility are constructed west of the main campus .
The targetgroup is teenager aged between 13 and 18 years of age. The program last between 6 and 18 months .
The program use levels. There are 4 levels. Every second week the detained teenagers can be voted up. . It takes 5 months to get to Level at minimum. The teenagers on the highest level live in a dorm called "cottage", where they enjoy a standard similar to an open prison with work releases.
The teenagers are held in dorm-like settings. A typical room can house 4 teenagers of a single gender.
Typical daily schedule
|07:00||Wake-up||14:30||Boys Community Meeting|
|08:00||Breakfast and Chores||15:00||Study Hall|
|09:00||PE, Individual, family and experiential therapy||16:00||School and Dinner|
|12:00||Lunch and free time||21:00||Free Time|
|13:00||Girls Community Meeting||22:30||Lights Out|
|13:30||Specialized group therapy. These groups may include eating disorders, relapse prevention, grief and loss, adoption, and drama therapy.|
The normal punishment is a "demerit". It consist of standing still in front of a wall for 25 minutes per demerit. There is a five minute break between each demerit 
They used a isolation room called "ISU", but the use of it has been forbidden by the authorities 
In the news
A Orem resident was convicted of attempted rape and written false statement after he had sex with a 16 year old teenager, who was detained at the facility 
They are also mentioned in an article about a boy being held away from his mother by a relative 
They are also a part in a lawsuit brought against them from a mother to a boy, who is claimed to have been sexually assaulted by other detained teenagers .
They have been the target of a lawsuit made by the Disability Law Center 
Adjusting to the life after a placement at Discovery Academy can be hard. A young author Alexa Leigh Corbett wrote the books [i]The Life Ever After[/i] and [i]The ID: The Art of Being Human[/i] based on her experiences of being the sister to an alumni of Discovery Academy 
- Info: Program homepage
- Info: Reviews, greatschools.net (There are very mixed reviews from the released teenagers and parents.)
- Info: Statement from Richard Meehan, TeenLiberty
- Info: Program Staff Information, HEAL-online
- ↑ The area with the two gender separated campuses. The girl campus can be seen using street view unlike the general satellite view, which have old photos
- ↑ New Perspectives - Apr, 1991 Issue, strugglingteen.com - industry marketing firm
- ↑ IVY TOWER WON'T BECOME CORRECTIONAL TEEN FACILITY, Deseret News, The (Salt Lake City, UT) - May 29, 1992
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 program data on NATSAP
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Discovery Academy: The Reform School Chronicles (Part 3), Odens Ravins blog
- ↑ Thread on a myspace group
- ↑ Employee Pleads Guilty to Attempted Rape at Discovery Academy, Daily Herald - Utah, October 9 2002 (Reprint from International Survivor Action Committee)
- ↑ Breaking the chains isn’t easy - Keeping teens in line can rattle any family, by Clive McFarlane, Worcester Telegram & Gazette, March 29 - 2006 (Reprint from Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth - CAFETY)
- ↑ Mother sues school, says son was assaulted, By Laura Hancock, Deseret Morning News, Published: September 3, 2006
- ↑ Suit targets Discovery Academy, Deseret Morning News, July 15 - 2007
- ↑ The ID: The Art of Being Human, (Publisher: Xlibris)
The Life Ever After (Publisher: PublishAmerica)